The Bachelor of Arts degree program in English with a concentration in Literary Studies prepares students to think critically, communicate effectively, and appreciate the power and lyricism the written word has wielded in a variety of cultures and historical periods. The study of English within the unique, career-driven context of the College prepares students for occupations in which clear thinking, thoughtful analysis, and finely honed communication skills are paramount. Graduates seek positions as writers, editors, and communication specialists in fields ranging from new media to marketing. In addition, the degree provides a solid pre-professional foundation for students preparing for careers in education and law.
Upon successful completion of the Bachelor of Arts in English degree, students will:
- demonstrate a broad understanding of the study of literature, including:
- knowledge of literary genre attributes and conventions.
- knowledge of trends and differences in a variety of literary traditions.
- knowledge of core theoretical literary approaches and an ability to apply them.
- demonstrate a competence in writing and communication, including:
- competence in writing and communication skills for particular purposes, audiences, and media.
- competence in visual communication using a specific visual communication technology.
- demonstrate an ability to conduct research relevant to the field of English and communication.
- obtain employment in a communication-related field or enter a graduate program of study.