To prepare for careers in media and technology fields, students can elect English with a concentration in Communication and Media. This prepares students to think critically, communicate effectively, and appreciate the power and lyricism of the written word. The study of English within the unique, career-driven context of the College prepares students for occupations in which clear thinking, thoughtful analysis, and finely honed communication skills are paramount. The concentration combines courses in practical, hands-on information technology applications with courses that explore the social and cultural implications of today's communication tools and media.
Upon successful completion of the Bachelor of Arts in English degree, students will:
- demonstrate a broad understanding of the study of literature, including
- knowledge of literary genre attributes and conventions.
- knowledge of trends and differences in a variety of literary traditions.
- knowledge of core theoretical literary approaches and an ability to apply them.
- demonstrate competence in writing and communication, including:
- competence in writing and communication skills for particular purposes, audiences, and media.
- competence in visual communication using a specific visual communication technology.
- demonstrate an ability to conduct research relevant to the field of English and communication.
- obtain employment in a communication-related field or enter a graduate program of study.